Wednesday 1 October 2014

SOTA Black Mountain S2S with VK7

On the 1st October a new SOTA Association, VK7, Tasmania was approved, and one of the local VK1 SOTA activators Paul VK1ATP put an alert up to activate the first summit, VK7/EC-045.

As had the day free decided to go chase him on local SOTA peak Black Mountain, VK1/AC-042. I knew it wouldn't be a strong signal at home, figured more chance on a peak, plus I get to do the first S2S to a new Association!

Black Mountain is only about a 10 minute drive from home. Parked in the lower car park as per other activations.


After a few minutes walk up the track reached the summit. Set up on the lookout platform as per my last time here, using the distance marker for a shack table.


The squid pole strapped to the metal fence and dipole legs laid out along the fence.


Got on 40 m on 7.090 and worked Paul, VK1ATP/7 on VK7/EC-045. He was about a S4R4, I was S5R5. He was mainly working VK3s.

After working him moved up to 7.095 and spotted myself to let chasers grab some points, none for me as already done this peak this year...Worked 3 VK2s, 3 VK3s and VK5BJE portable. The VK2s mentioned they were not able to copy Paul, signal too weak to work. Probably would have had problems myself at home so the quiet summit was good.

Packed up and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment