Monday 4 January 2021

2020 FT8 Countries Review

At the start of each month I record the number of countries worked per band, to track my progress towards DXCC. Here is my tally up to the end of 2020


Can see how I passed DXCC, 100 countries overall in Nov 2020. 😀 The 17m band continues to be my best band with 74 countries.

Next is 30m. This has mainly been due to chasing EU DX there in the early mornings here in VK, I guess grey line DX. At 56 countries now.

After that 20m with 50 countries. Not a fan of 20m as gets very crowded. Then 40m at 19 countries. Also not a fan of this as gets very crowded, with some heavy QRM from strong VK stations. It does at least keep working in the winter months when higher bands are dead. 

The dark grey line is 10m. For several years not many contacts on 10m, due to just no sunspot activity. Then a burst up in December 2019 and another more rapid jump in December 2020, when had EU coming in at long last on 10m. The start of the new sunspot cycle. Starting to die down again though.

12m is a new band for me, having put up a dipole in June 2019. It was dormant until December 2020. 

15m is a band I don't use much, due to not having an antenna for it... I use my 40m dipole through the IC7300 tuner. Not great but have got 23 countries.

Last is 80m. Until FT8 thought this was just a local rag chew band, but it can provide DX. 19 countries so far, not bad for a shortened trapped 80m dipole.

A similar plot for USA States per band worked.


I'm stuck at 49 States, still looking for Wyoming :(

40m is the best for Stateside, with 45 worked. 17m after that. On 30m a bit of a jump in January 2020 as it opened to the US, but did not last. Other bands not so good for working the USA.

Last a simple plot of QSOs per month


A lot of QSOs in August/September 2019, when I had some time off work, and then December 2020. With the new solar cycle the bands should improve a lot in 2021.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment