Sunday, 26 July 2026

Goorooyaroo Nature Reserve VKFF-0841

After checking the last activation dates of VK1 parks, found 7 that had not been activated in 2026. Headed for one of these, Goorooyaroo Nature Reserve VKFF-0841. Last activated in 2025, by me in 2019 so due for another visit.

The park is large with some access points off Horse Park Dr. I used Wilay Gate. The sign refers to the annual Kangaroo cull in the ACT, you are okay to access the park between 6am and 6pm.


After passing the gate, there is another gate and fence close by. Headed for the log I used last activation in 2019. Set up the radio on the log., squid pole on a nearby tree.

Operating spot, from Google maps satellite view.

Shack on the log. I am using my base radio IC7300 now if the walk is not too far. A lot more comfortable to operate compared to the FT857D.


Got on 40m, worked a P2P with VK2BYF and VK2HBG in nearby VKFF-2016 Wanna Wanna Nature Reserve.

I was about to spot on 7.155, asking if in use was answered by VK2YL Norma in VKFF-0307 Marramarra National Park. She had just finished here after getting over 44 contacts. I spotted and called here.

Worked several VK2 VK3 VK4 and VK5 stations. Another P2P with VK3IDK Jamie in VKFF-4720 Cairnlea Estate Nature Conservation Reserve

After calls stopped on 40m went to 30m, 10.125 Mhz.. A bit quieter, with QSOs with VK4EW, VK4WTN, VK3AMO and VK4FW.

Went to 20m 14.310 Mhz. Worked VK4EW, VK4FW, KG5CIK. Bill VK4FW advised me of a POTA park activator on 14.305, W6IWN Bobby. Tuned down here and heard him weak but readable. I called him several times for a P2P but got walked on by the strong stations calling at his end. Bill VK4FW gave me a hand and asked him to beam my way, he heard me weakly at 52 so a P2P with the USA, in US-4469 Tahoe National Forest. He had a portable beam!

Returned to 40m for a P2P with VK3TUN David in VKFF-5189 Kaladbro H20 Bushland Reserve.

Packed up and headed home for afternoon tea.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment