Friday 4 September 2015

SOTA Mt Canobolas VK2/CT-001

After activating Caloma Trig in Goobang National Park drove to Orange, booked accommodation, then drove up Mt Canobolas for a late afternoon activation. A good 20 Km from Orange, it was getting close to sunset when I arrived on top. I had the place to myself, probably due to the cold wind and 6c temperature...


Set up just down from the summit on a small gum tree, a little lower than the small one I used last time here.


Shack on the tarp at the base of the tree.


Got on 40m. Due to the late evening time NVIS had dropped out, leaving only long distance stations audible. Really strong S7-S9+ signals from VK3s and VK5s. Just managed to work a very weak Gerard VK2IO in Sydney, too close... There was a spot for Andrew VK1NAM/p on VK1/AC-040 Mt Ainslie on 7.100, I listened for him but could only hear his chasers.

The surprise contact was EA2CKX, Pedro from Spain, EU DX on 40m! He was 5x1 and gave me a 3x1 report, as expected running only 5w...

Packed up and headed back down to Orange for the evening after 9 contacts. Wanted to get off the mountain before dark.

Sunset on Mt Canobolas





No comments:

Post a Comment